Friday, March 2, 2018

Vulgar Favors


If you know me, then you know that I am just about obsessed with everything Ryan Murphy touches. Glee. The New Normal. American Horror Story. American Crime Story. When I watched the first season of American Crime Story, which focused on the trial of O.J. Simpson, I felt like my life had changed. Considering that I was no older than 5 or 6 when the "trial of the century" occurred, I was unaware of a lot of details behind the case. When I thought of O.J., I just knew that "if the glove doesn't fit, you must acquit"...that was, until the first seasons of ACS.

I was pleasantly surprised to learn that Ryan Murphy used Jeffrey Toobin's book "The Run of His Life: The People v. O.J. Simpson" for consultation. I borrowed the book from the library and DEVOURED it. I mean, I absolutely devoured it. So, imagine my excitement when I learn that the second season is surrounding the murder of Gianni Versace! I know absolutely NOTHING about Versace except that he was the mastermind behind the fashion powerhouse AND I have another great book to read *insert side-eye roll*. Well...I still love Ryan Murphy, but...

I am disappointed that he decided to showcase a crime from a novel which relied greatly on hearsay and unsubstantiated theories. This season was based on the novel "Vulgar Favors: Andrew Cunanan, Gianni Versace and the Largest Failed Manhunt in U.S. History" by Maureen Orth and don't be misled by the title like I was. In no sense is this book about Versace. This book revolves around the confusing life of Cunanan. There was no substantial evidence as to why Cunanan murdered Versace - especially since Cunanan died several days later from a self-inflicted gun shot wound. As a matter of fact, Cunanan's involvement with Versace (which primarily consists of the murder) is a mere 100 pages of the 464 and much of those 100 pages talks about how Andrew was able to avoid being caught due to gross negligence of the FBI.

Perhaps because the first season of this show focused on a case in which there was so much evidence to be presented - whether you thought the evidence demonstrated Simpson's guilt or innocence - this season was thoroughly disappointing because the only evidence that has been presented is who Andrew Cunanan killed (they all died from the same gun, with the exception of Jeff Trail who was brutally bludgeoned to death). Andrew Cunanan told so many lies and left no details as to why he committed his crimes that his intent will forever be questioned. Just as Maureen Orth did in her book, Ryan Murphy took a lot of liberty in assuming what Cunanan's motives were, as well as details of specific events. With no witnesses alive to clue the public into these matters, we will never know. In my opinion, Maureen Orth did no justice to the lives lost. It would have been nice for Ryan Murphy to showcase a crime from a better book. "Vulgar Favors" read to me like a sensational piece from the National Enquirer...nothing to be taken too seriously.

With that being said, I am looking forward to the next season of American Crime Story. More importantly, I am excited to read the next book that Ryan Murphy will be consulting.

Until we read again...

No comments:

Post a Comment