Sunday, March 18, 2018

Review: Love Letters to the Dead

Love Letters to the Dead by Ava Dellaira has been on my to-read list for quite some time now. Unfortunately, I couldn't find it at any of my local libraries, so I ended up buying it from Audible...I wish I just saved my credit.

It's not that I didn't like Love Letters, but I didn't love it. I didn't have any feelings towards it actually. It was just something that I wanted to read and then it was something that I started and needed to finish. The premise was actually very intriguing, but for some reason, I was not drawn to it beyond that.

The main character, Laurel, is given an English assignment to write a letter to a dead person. We soon learn that this is a difficult assignment because her sister, May, has recently died. She writes to Kurt Cobain, Judy Garland, Amy Winehouse, Amelia Earhart, Janis Joplin and others as she tells her story. She talks to the dead like one might talk to a therapist. She details her days at school, her love life, how her and her family has been coping with her sister's death, and ultimately what led to her sister's death. This sounds like a great story, right? Well...I think that I just don't have an affinity for young adult fiction because it fell flat for me. I found myself dozing off and irritated at many times. It was frustrating for me that it took so long for the readers to learn what happened to May. Laurel's character was frustrating. The side stories were frustrating. I'm not sure that there was depth to any facet of this book - specifically the characters. I honestly have no other words to write except that this book was a complete let down.

Until we read again...


No comments:

Post a Comment