Sunday, May 7, 2017

Review: You Can't Touch My Hair: And Other Things I Still Have to Explain

Phoebe Robinson's "You Can't Touch My Hair" was not a book that I necessarily wanted to read; however, it KEPT coming up as a suggested book. After being recommended to read a book so many times, you start to believe that you need to read it. So...after the perpetual reminders, along with the knowledge that I needed to use my audible credits before I lost them, I purchased the audiobook version.

"You Can't Touch My Hair" follows the premise that even in modern times, African-Americans, women, and African-American women have to explain or deal with things that they frankly shouldn't have to. For example, she talks about how it is okay for men to be assertive but when women take charge, they are referred to as "bitches". As a female comedian, she details the double standard in her profession - during their stand-ups, men can use foul language, make jokes about their (and females) genitalia, and just be straight up crass. Women, on the other hand, cannot. According to Robinson, female comedians are not supposed to be crass but should be lady-like and not too pretty. The stereotypes are endless, ridiculous, and unbelievable. Although the majority of us ladies are not professional comedians, I think that we can all concur that we face double standards in our work and home lives that we probably shouldn't in 2017.

Another topic that she discusses, which lends to the title of her book, was about touching women's hair and more specifically African-American's hair. This is such a taboo topic that it's shocking that it still has to be discussed. She details the pride that many African-American women have and some still struggle with while combating disgust, amazement, and intrigue from others outside of the race. Our hair is our pride and glory. There is nothing like it in the world - the many textures that one head of hair has, how soft and plush it is, how it can be essentially transformed into works of art - so it should be obvious that we don't want anyone picking and touching at it like it's a pet asking to be coddled. One of my favorite pieces in this story was when she recounted historical moments in African-American hair - such as Grace Jones' assymetrical fro, or when Viola Davis took off her wig in How to Get Away with Murder.

Unquestionably, Phoebe Robinson had great commentary at times, but this was not my favorite thing to read/listen to. For those that know me, they know that I am a HUGE fan of audiobooks. There are just some books that are meant to be orally read (e.g., "A Christmas Carol" by Charles Dickens, read by Tim Curry). I tend to purchase quite a few biographies in the audio format, especially if they are read by the author. However...listening to Robinson hold out words or scream "hashtag ____" every 30 seconds was quirky at first, but quickly grew annoying. Nobody I know talks like that and if they did I wouldn't know them for long. It made her sound very juvenile and it made it difficult to listen to the content of what she was saying.

I also had a hard time getting into this book because I am not a fan of crude or crass language - from a man, woman, dog, alien, moose, whoever. I don't want to listen to somebody drop f-bombs (or any other expletive for that matter) every other word that comes out of their mouth. That is the quickest way to lose my interest in something. So be warned - if you have sensitive ears or eyes, this may not be the book for you.

I'm a little sad to say this but this book was just not memorable for me. Like I stated above, there was some really great commentary and then there was some that was just blah. I'm just glad I don't have to see it pop up on my suggested to-read list anymore.

Until we read again...

No comments:

Post a Comment