Sunday, May 7, 2017

Review: Settle for More

Can I tell y'all that I was beyond excited to read Megyn Kelly's, "Settle for More"?! Most people that I know aren't big fans of hers but whether I have agreed with her stance on issues or not, she has always stood out to me as a powerful woman. What better way to become a powerful woman than to read and learn about another powerful woman?

Having said all of that...I am conflicted after reading her memoir. I was head over heels with what I was reading until I had less than 100 pages left of her book. Much of her book discusses her foundation - what she believed gave her the standing to become a successful lawyer and journalist. While I didn't appreciate some of her language and attitude (she referred to people who coddle their children as "cupcakes"), I was still interested. I could appreciate how she felt as if she was successful because her parents didn't tell her she was a winner when she was just average at something. In her opinion, that taught her that she had to work for what she wanted, that nothing would just be handed to her. If she wasn't good at dancing, then her parents would tell her that and she would realize that maybe dancing wasn't her niche. Apparently, law and journalism were hers.

While reading, I was impressed by her accolades. After logging in endless hours of work and study and overcoming some sexism, she became an impressive lawyer in her early 20's. She recounted a conversation that she had with another lawyer who basically told her that after 7 years or so she would not be so enamored with her profession, which so happened to be true. Eventually she felt static in her career, as if the passion that she once felt for law fizzled out. So, she sought out something new - journalism. What was unbelievable to me was what happened following her epiphany. Within several short years (2-3), she quit her job at a highly respectable law firm (the same law firm the late Antonin Scalia practiced for), began reporting for a small, local station, and then ended up on Fox News (eventually with her own show). While I was reading this, I was like whoa! She must really be good! However, it isn't until you almost finish the book, that you learn that there were some other factors that most likely led to her quick promotions through Fox News, all while having little prior experience. How disappointing?! For me, it almost felt as if she quickly detailed this at the end of the book so that it wouldn't have so much command on her success.

Without a doubt, I'd be remiss if I didn't mention the attention that she gave Donald Trump throughout her book. He was a central topic in her book from page one. It almost felt as if she was trying to prove herself amongst Trump's claims that she was not worthy as a journalist. What I found to be interesting, however, was that she reminded me of him in several instances. For example, Trump is notorious for mentioning how great a person is if they like him or support him. Megyn Kelly did this in several instances in her book (e.g., Katie Couric).

Regardless of Kelly's ascension through Fox News and Trump's aversion to her, I had to admit that Megyn Kelly is nothing short of impressive. I was glad to read her book, as I found plenty of things to take away from it. In regards as to whether I line up with her ideologically, to me that is a moot point. For me, it is just as important to read or listen to people that do not share similar ideals as me as it is for me to read or listen to others that do. While sometimes it may be uncomfortable, it opens up my perspective on things in life and helps me be more empathetic to others. So whether you like Megyn Kelly or not, I challenge you to at least give her book a try and see what you can get from it.

Until we read again... 

No comments:

Post a Comment